Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Super 40 Birthday Bash!

THE BIG 40th BIRTHDAY BASH!

So, I turned 40 this month, June 12 to be exact, and earlier this year I said to myself, "Self, I think you deserve a big ol' birthday party!" Well, myself and I agreed with me and the three of us started planning. The biggest problem was, however, finding the time to plan this shindig. See...I had my proverbial plate proverbially full and I had to squeeze the planning in and around the multiple other projects (ie kids' b-day parties, stake primary events, girls camp song skit planning, kindergarten memory book production, vacations) I was involved in on top of my full-time jobs of wife, mother, babysitter and part-time accountant. Yes, I looked at my schedule and thought for just a brief...brief moment that I was overextending myself. But then I said to myself, "But Self, you are now overextending yourself for YOURSELF." Once again, my committee of me, myself and I was unanimous in its decision and the party got planned....and planned well, I might add.


I created this lovely invite on my laptop and thought it was fun. I didn't know why I chose the Super Hero theme. I certainly don't think of myself as a Superhero as I have absolutely NO superpowers and I completely lack a nemesis (unless you call TIME a nemesis.) I just really liked the look of it all and decided to carry the theme into my party. The two main things I wanted were a live band and to arrive at my party in a hearse. I got both. Yeah...baby. So, take a look at my pictures and enjoy. I pretty much invited everyone I've ever known over the past 25 years so you all should have gotten an invite. If you didn't get one I'm sorry. Let me know and I'll get you one for my 50th Birthday Party. It you got one and couldn't come...we missed you but partied hard anyway!


To those that came...THANK YOU - MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF THANKS! It was great to see you all and some came from far off so again thanks. I have been blessed with awesome friends and family. Yes, indeedy.


Now...on to the photos!

Here I am arriving at the party. I found this guy online. He makes a living restoring cars, but makes a "killing" renting out his hearse filled with caskets that have been converted into coolers and kegs. No...I didn't get a casket. He picked Troy and I up about 645p and we drove around for about 30 minutes til most of the party goers were there. Then Nate, my bro, flashed the SuperSignal for me (& called me on the phone), had the guests go outside and I arrived. Way too much fun. I could hear the cheering as we turned into the parking lot. My SuperStar moment. In case you're wondering, my shirt says "c.1969" (with the "c" in a circle.) Check out photos below for better detail.


Here's my Super Signal. I had found a 8ft by 23ft "scene setter" for a cartoon Batman party. It just had the cityscape in it. It fit the walls perfect and we took it all the way around. The band played at the end of the party. We mingled, ate, sang Happy Birthday, and most did the stations around the room: "Pick Your Super Hero Name;" "Pick Your Super Power;" and "Super Hero Photos." Again...don't have any reason for the Super Hero theme except...I liked it.


Me schmoozing...it's what I do. It was great to see everyone, I'm tellin' you!

In accordance with the hearse we wished a warm "Rest in Peace" to my youth. It was a sad thing to have to do, but I'm over it. Bring on middle age, baby. I can now do all sorts of things I couldn't do before and just blame my age- like forgetting things...repeatedly; wearing lots of elastic; and using my ailing and aching body parts as an excuse to get out of manual labor. WAHOO! Yes, I'm looking at the world through rose-colored bifocals now, my friend.

My lovely mother-in-law, who we flew in to help with the party and to watch the kids when Troy and I left on a getaway to Denver, made this cake for me. It has cutouts of me as a kid with a superhero cape playing with plastic dinosaurs...my childhood playmates. Yeah...I love her!


Here's a sample of the fun Super Hero photos that were taken. Surprisingly, more people didn't participate in this....hmmmmmm. I probably shouldn't have picked The Scheiers to publically embarass as they did take Carol Chimonas home for me. How she got there is a completely different blog entry... I think Preston's face clinched the deal on which photo to use.



So remember, my second wish for by party was a live band. Mr. Ashley Hall and His Having a Ball Band, not its real name, but they don't have one so I'll pick one of my own, graciously agreed to play 80's covers tunes all night long (no, he didn't play that Lionel Richie classic. Thankfully.)I got to do two songs with the band: The Tide Is High, with the lovely Nora Johnson singing lead and then My Super Rock Star moment, kiddos, with me on guitar, Ashley on bass and the drummer! It's just me, baby...and I ROCKED! I posted the video on youtube, and I'll try to get the other one up but it took FOREVER. I just don't have the patience for uploading things I guess. The quality is definitely NOT guaranteed as it was recorded on a tiny cheap digital camera. I promise my first video for MTV will be better...

I'll try to post the other song, "Tide Is High" on Facebook. It's an incomplete video, but gives you an idea how AWESOME it was.... Sorry, my adrenaline still pumps in the red zone when I think about it. I brought extra picks and threw them out into the audience when I was done. Then I promptly trashed my hotel room, fired my manager and screamed at the paparazzi as I ducked into my limo. What a life....


The party ended well, as we had numerous people show up to say "Hi" and we got to chat. The band just started playing whatever they wanted and we danced and danced. What a great evening. What a rush. Me, myself and I are thrilled with the results and SO completely happy that we took on the extra work. Yeah, it seemed kinda sad that I would have to throw my own party, but I've always been the one that if I wanted to get it done I just did it myself. I'd like to thank my family who helped set up and take down. I'd like to thank Marilyn Crandall for helping set up the food and keeping it going. I'd like to thank Ashley and his bandmates for the great show. And most of all THANKS EVERYONE FOR COMING TO PLAY WITH ME!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You look marvolus.

marcikay said...

i just have to say, i laughed and laughed as i read this.. it was just so "rachel" to me!! i haven't seen you since (correct me if i'm wrong) april of 1990?? and you're still just as "rachel" as ever!!

..and i mean that in a good way!!

Jules said...

You definitely throw a raging party. It was fun to be there. You recapped the night very well. It was no problem taking Carol home, glad I could do it for you. Preston's face is funny. It makes me wish I did a Spidey looking face had I known he was really the hulk. I know whenever anyone sees Preston with his buff body the first thing they think is WOW he looks just like the Hulk. :-)